Wednesday, August 31, 2011

 

Fascinating families.

Fascinating!
The family history programme this evening was really fascinating.
It ended with the Larry Lamb, this week's subject, expressing how discovering about his grandparents and how their lives had evolved made him feel stronger.
I can echo that.
In the last years so much has been discovered that was almost lost.
Finding an aunt I never knew of certainly strengthened me.
From her history I began to understand more of my grandparents.
And this week I am learning about my parents and I am finding it stimulating and strengthening.
I have now sorted out almost all that my father wrote and have the letters in chronological order.
Some time tomorrow I can do the same for all that my mother wrote.
It has been interesting to read a few letters from the battered suitcase that had been written by others.
Have we misjudged Granny Ware? She didn't know how to deal with her husband's family well and none of her step children felt love or respect for her. I sense that she, in her own way, felt affection for my mother and brother - the 2 she had dealings with.

It has not been all family history today.
We went into town this morning. There were a few things I wanted to get. Bill decided that he needed socks. Then he came home and cleared out his sock drawer and gave me 12 pairs of socks that he didn't want! I am not sure how many I actually want.
Tomorrow morning we will get up early and go to Ford and Littlehampton.
It will be good to be out. The weather will be fair, I think.
Then I really must sort out purchases - the stuff bought at Walton on Thames on Sunday is still strewn across the table.

A snippet of news from Ashley - who still has lots of boxes full of things from their Bangor home. He is waiting to unpack until they have the extension to unpack things into.
Hunted through boxes for the kitchen scales and found our fruit bowl as well. Unfortunately the removal men had not emptied the fruit bowl before wrapping and packing it. On March 9th. Which didn't make for the most pleasant discovery.