Saturday, January 08, 2011

 

Rough Sea at Littlehampton.

Prepare yourself - photos of Littlehampton again!
We awoke with the alarm at just after 6 o'clock. The wind was fierce outdoors - had it stopped raining? Surely it had! Wrong!
We drove in the dark through nasty rain across most of Sussex - I was trusting that the Met Office website would have been as accurate as it normally is. And it was.
By the time we were coming down hill into Arundel with the castle grey and forbidding against the gloomy sky, there was no rain.
The overnight rain and storms had obviously put many sellers off - not yet back into the swing of things anyway after the winter break. There were less than half of what we would normally expect in the winter at Ford.
But it was so good to be out browsing and buying.
I have a couple of kitchen things and a vase - and a pile of books.
I wonder if anybody will want a very tatty copy of the 1903 edition of The Locomotives of the London Brighton and South Coast Railway.
Good condition editions command a price of £20 to £30. Maybe somebody would like it for perhaps £3.
We were earlier into Littlehampton this time - we were eating some breakfast before 10 o'clock.
Then we looked round the charity shops.
Bill bought 2 eggcups to sell with delightful little racing cars on.
We took the car round and parked close to the estuary of the Arun.
By this time we had seen glimpses of blue sky and it was much less windy.
The tide was high and the sea was rough.
Pictures by both Paula and Bill.


Some cormorants were seeking shelter by the river - drying their wings. (B)

We were not the only people strolling down the river to the little pier and the sea.(P)

There were kite flyers just below the pier.(P)


Kite and harbour light. (B)


I loved being there - the rough sea is so mighty and powerful (B)

Rough sea (B)


Rough sea and distant beach huts (P)


Gulls and turnstones stand with their backs to the wind.
Other turnstones were busy doing what they do - turning stones to find food. (P)

Little turnstone objects to a gull hopefully taking refuge in their spot. (P)


Gull and rough sea. (B)


Breaking wave (B)


Waves (B)


My man (P)
We were home by 1 o'clock.
The afternoon has passed in some idleness and sorting out our photos.
Frieda came round for a while and we all had a cup of tea.
I kept an eye on football scores - Brighton beat higher placed Portsmouth and go through to the next round of the FA Cup.
Crawley play their match on Monday evening.
Perhaps it is as well they didn't play today. Traffic was almost gridlocked because the motorway was closed for several hours after a bad accident.
Good intentions about looking after my digestion have gone well today.
I had a small breakfast in Littlehampton; I have had 2 rice cakes (just puffed rice - no cake!) and this evening I had one of the Aynsley Harriot savoury rice packs.
If I report my eating on my blog (with honesty) then it might be easier to to improve my condition. I wouldn't want to have to confess about all those empty calories I was piling in!