Monday, January 03, 2011

 

Leaky Pilgrims

Today didn't really work out as planned.
Sometimes that is great - today it was not.
For a couple of hours I worked at a bit of rearranging of shelves at the shop.
There were quite a lot of people in and out.
So far, so good.
Then there were leaks at the shop - not roof leaks, you understand; much more personal than that.
It was horrid trying to sort things out in the very cold kitchen. I failed completely once. I hoped the second time would be OK and for a while it was and I was happy.
I enjoyed showing a couple some lovely rings. She was wanting something special that would be both a symbol of their engagement and their marriage, which will be on Easter Saturday this year. There was one that she loved - quite large and chunky. It was beautiful and it looked really good on my finger too. I tried it on when the bridegroom to be questioned if this was the sort of ring she would want for the rest of her life. I was certainly able to demonstrate that it enhanced the hand of a 66 year old as much as her younger hand. But I also discussed practicalities with her - like would she want to keep removing it to do more mundane housework or even to make pastry.
The ring was photographed and they went away to have a look at others and to talk.
It was not long after that I realised there was another leak.
I was not really surprised, but did feel rather tense about it. There was no way I wanted to attempt to deal with it again in the freezing cold kitchen.
Monika insisted that we went home - and I knew really that this was our only option.
But I felt guilty to leave her with a shop full of browsing customers.
I hope she got away early too.
Once home, in warm familiar surroundings, I was able to put things right.
Bother to it all! And yet also - much joy that I have this situation to inconvenience me sometimes. Without it I would, by now have no life to be enjoying at all.

And if there is anybody reading this who cannot understand what I am talking about and is interested, then please contact and I will explain.