Sunday, June 28, 2009

 

Busy day working - or was it just pleasure?

Have we been working today or merely having fun?
We have certainly been busy and have enjoyed ourselves - but our bodies feel quite weary now.



The squirrel has an easy time of it - even his food is provided by silly folk who like to feed the birds.
Talking of birds our lives are accompanied constantly now by the alarm calls of blackbirds.
There must be a nest in one of Frieda's bushes and the adults protect their young by drawing attention to themselves by loud squawking.
Anyway we set off for Reigate on a simply glorious morning.
We opted for the car boot sale there this week.
For a while we thought we would be disappointed because it seemed small - but more cars drove onto the field and tables came out to display people's wares.
In the end we bought quite well - including clothes for us and for Ashley and Ekatarina.
There is always a good atmosphere at this sale - especially when the sun shines.
Back at home I quickly wrote up some of the better things that I bought so that I could take them to the shop.
We spent 3 hours there this afternoon. The main purpose was so that Bill could pull out one of the narrow cabinets he has been using and a narrow shelf. In their place he has now put in a longer wooden shelf.
It is much improved.
We are both delighted with how good his things are looking.
Of course we had the door open - and despite the fact that the shop is closed on Sundays, people walked in and we dealt with some sales.
I do wish the shop could be open on Sundays - a couple of the other antiques centres are.
It is just a question of who would want to man the shop on a Sunday. But maybe there could be a rota and we all take our turn, doing 11 o'clock until 4. It wouldn't come round that often.
First I will share with you a couple of pictures taken of Bill's "new" area. The space stays the same of course but it looks much better.
I will take a few more pictures tomorrow of his stock.



I had evolved some plans for my own area over the last week or so.
At one stage, when in Rocking Horse, I developed the notion of breaking the space up into sections sort of relating to different areas of a house.
I have the children's nursery, the kitchen, the gentleman's study, the lady's domain and then a section for 1950s and 1960s stuff.
This weekend I have bought things specifically to develop these sections.


Here I stand alongside the 1950s section.
Oh dear, I really must think about posture!
I am standing like an old woman!


This shows most of the rest of my area. That shelf unit with white uprights had just moved in from Bill's section.
As you see I am right at the back of the shop by the back door.


I bought that floral jug and bowl this morning. I am not sure how old it is - not very I imagine. But it is old in style.
The larger white cat came from the woman in Leigh last week - one of her "ornyments".
This is part of my feminine interest section.

Here is the Shelley tea set again.
I know it is worth what I have been advised to put on it but I feel slightly uncomfortable about it.
I am sure I will change the price in a couple of months if it is still there.


This is the kitchen section, I bought the cast iron scales with brass dishes (on the top shelf) this morning.

The children's section.
There is royal memorabilia on the bottom shelf. I should phase that out because it doesn't attract much interest.


1950s red and black.
Jo has kitchen things on her shelves backing onto mine. which you can see.



1950s and 60s coloured glass.
The dog is one of the ornyments!

And that has been our day.
It always feels good to make new displays - satisfies creative urges.
We feel content with a job well done.
And I have taken a pretty good amount of money during this last.
I look forward to tomorrow - hoping for praise from people who come in when they see the changes. Hah! Will Julie or Monika notice?
That doesn't matter - we know, and I am sure we will continue to please the customers.