Wednesday, June 24, 2009

 

Ornyments, puppies Newdigate and more.

Today has been a gentle day with several episodes.
We are not finished yet - an athletics meeting this evening.

We began gently with a cup of tea in bed and a crossword book.

I began to do some describing of books for EBay, but had to leave that because we had an appointment to to visit somebody who had been into the shop with things for sale.
"Ornyments" she said she had. This immediately made me think of naff cheap plaster things bought on a seaside pier, so I didn't have much hope of finding anything but tat.

In fact she had some bits that I think I can sell - named china items. The fashionable name is always worth going for.
I decided I would take the lot - she clearly didn't want to be left with the dross and I offered her £75, which I thought was pretty generous.
Somehow or other she got me to pay £100.
That is always the way when one buys from somebody's house or if they bring it into the shop - one pays too much.
But I am sure I can get my money back and a little bit more.

She didn't just have "ornyments" - she had animals.
There were 2 huge dogs barricaded into her kitchen and in a corner of the living room were 3 puppies.
I am sure she will make more out of the puppies - Bordeaux Mastiffs. They were 4 weeks old and still soft and adorable.

This was all happening in Leigh - just beyond Charlwood.
The next village is one that we have rarely been though - it is tucked away and not on the road to anywhere in particular.
Newdigate.
I have information that Bill's great great grandfather Caleb Ellis married Jane Lucas in Newdigate.
I can't find that information right now but I have known it for some time (which doesn't mean it is right).
And I know they both were born in Charlwood and their children were born there (including Abel, Bill's gr grandfather). Jane was buried in Charlwood - possibly dying in childbirth with Abel.
Anyway we thought we would take a look at the place where I believe they married.


The war memorial had no Ellis or Lucas names - but there was a Monk. I don't think he belonged to us - and if he did it would have been exceedingly distantly. There is another branch with a Leigh connection.
And there was a Kemshall - which means that I also have a family connection with the place - very distantly too, through my second cousin Alan Frost.


The village coat of arms.
The name is said to have evolved from On Ewood Gate. Ewood (or Yew Wood) became a hunting place for the nobility - a park; and it would have had gates.
The church gates.

Bill stands on the spot where his great great grandfather Caleb stood.


Carvings in the choir stalls before the altar.








The view to The Six Bells pub.
I wonder if Caleb might have called in there after a long day behind the plough.
We didn't call in there today - we had grabbed a bite to eat before leaving home and sat behind the church with our little picnic.
There were lads eating lunch on a bench at the front of the church doing an expedition for the Duke of Edinburgh's award scheme.
I have since finished my book describing and we must gather our bits for the athletics.
I presume that one of us must be chief timekeeper, though we have been supplied with no information.
I don't have time today to continue with the Thailand story - maybe tomorrow.