Thursday, June 25, 2009

 

May 20th. Temples and shopping.

Wednesday May 20th was Bill's birthday and it was a full day, ending in a family evening out.
I have been very strict about the number of photos I am posting on the blog - though it might not seem so to you!
I really want to finish what I started - writing and sharing photos about all that we did in Thailand but it is taking a long time.
Jamie took us to 2 interesting temples in the morning.
We took loads of photos of course but there are only a few here.
Bill has more in our album - which he has finished!
The first we called The Buddha on the Roof Temple, but is actually Wat Sri Sunthon.
Jamie has already written about it on his blog - amongst his tour of Phuket temples. So for a few extra scenes look at his page.
https://www.jamiesphuketblog.com/2006/08/wat-sri-sunthon-sri-sunthorn-temple.html






It was not far then to visit another temple The Buried Buddha temple or Wat Phra Thong (Wot Prah Tong).
On another occasion Jamie wrote about this one too.
https://www.jamiesphuketblog.com/2006/08/wat-phra-thong-pra-tong-temple.html




I bought the bundle of traditional items to make a sort of devotion to a Buddha.
Different statues were round the inside of the temple and each one seemed to promise different sorts of peace.
I had candles and joss sticks and small pieces of gold leaf.
I chose to muse on life the universe and everything at this statue who promised me that I "will be far away from the enemy and will be happy prosperous and peace for ever".


I am putting gold leaf on the statue - though in fact, most of it broke up on my sweaty fingers and I had golden hands for a while.




We like a quirky sign!

We drove back home and picked up Mam and went to the very good and cheap noodle shop on the outskirts of Phuket City.





Leaving the noodle shop after a tasty snack/meal.
Out in the street in the short walk back to the car there was more food to be seen.

The peanut and hard boiled egg seller.



The butcher. Gradually I guess more and more people are abandoning this sort of butcher in favour of Tescos - just like in the UK.
Though probably our butchers would not have looked quite this primitive!
Then we drove to a large indoor market.
The main purpose was to buy shirts.
Jamie and Mam had bought one a few days before - really good looking cotton ones reduced to 100 baht - £2.
You will see Jamie and Bill wearing matching shirts on the next posting.


But Mam couldn't resist trying on a T shirt as well! She didn't buy it.



And Bill was attracted by the "dolls" used to display clothes.



Next time I will share pictures of our meal and the show at Phuket Brewery.
Bill's birthday treat!