Saturday, November 08, 2008

 

Remembering in peace and war

The work has continued.
The office type contents of the chest of drawers are now in the tall cupboard - and the drawers are upstairs in the back bedroom. We chose to keep the drawers and reject a shelf unit that Bill constructed from cheap wood about 30 years ago. It still yet might find a use in the garage.
So now we just have to remember where everything is.
How many times will we go to the wrong cupboards for things?



Remembering of course is a keyword this weekend.
Roger said that he feels differently now about Remembrance Day and so do I.
I think as youngsters we were perhaps a little mis-informed. Dad was so adamantly against war and of course in particular the glorification of war - and I am with him there.
My perception is that such events as Remembrance Day were viewed as a manifestation of that glorification and my family therefore shunned it.
We were encouraged to learn of family members who had lost their lives in the wars - but we were blessed with losing almost nobody; my Great Uncle Harry was the only one I knew of, and as he was ancient history I thought little of him at the time.
Since then I have learned of another great uncle and Bill lost one too.
Bill's Dad was a prisoner in Germany, having been captured in North Africa at Alemein .


Now, as we watch the festival of remembrance from The Royal Albert Hall I think not only of them but also those who lived.
They truly had memories of war for the remainder of their lives causing untold sadness and pain wrapped up in a certain amount of pride and satisfaction maybe.
I don't think my grandad knew much pride - he lived his life only too aware of what a pathetic waste the first world war had been; though he never talked of this to us children.
So I shed tears for all those with memories of the world wars and tears, too, that mankind can consider it necessary to continue with military solutions, which almost invariably turn into a pathetic waste, changing little for the better. Though of course many might wish to contradict me.
I am glad that so many who have been involved in Iraq and Afghanistan are being highlighted tonight. They have had hard times and we must allow them to find pride and satisfaction, certainly in individual achievements; but can our soldiers actually find a solution?



But now I turn to more recent memories - hardly more than 2 weeks old for us, but looking back to a much earlier time.

The Isle of Wight has a preserved railway with steam locomotives.
We opted not to have a ride on the train - maybe another time.
We watched a train arrive at Haven Street Station and then set off again for Smallbrook Junction. We then explored the station and the small museum until it returned once again.
We took masses of photographs and here is a small selection.







Steam locos seem to exert a magnetism for so many people who enjoy the power and the atmosphere.


We were content to study the station - full of evocative images of the days of steam and our childhood; though electrification was actually well under way during the 1950s - almost complete in this part of the country I think.










And tonight, whether they know it or not, many people are having parties to remember the deeds of Guy Fawkes and his friends, 300 years ago.
Sadly there has been a lot of rain and strong winds today - so, sorry cats! Many parties might have been postponed until tomorrow night.
I used to enjoy Guy Fawkes night when it wasn't controlled so much.
Although I do still enjoy fireworks - big and small.
But we are far too tired for parties tonight. Bill has been dozing on the sofa after dinner. I think he has missed his afternoon naps during the last weeks.