Friday, September 05, 2008

 

5th September. Off on our holiday today!

Friday - its raining again!
What can we do to bring a bit of sparkle to life?
Well, we went out to lunch at Gatwick Airport. We can get there on the bus in no time - costing nothing of course, using our old peoples' bus pass.

We walked through the doors of North Terminal and suddenly were surrounded by the bustle of a different world.
I could only look back and remember turning up there on the bus from Heathrow (after my long trip from Thailand). I was very late, it was cold and of course very dark and the place was deserted.
Today there were people with suitcases everywhere.

We took the train link to the South Terminal and walked about just soaking up the atmosphere, eyeing up peoples' luggage. We have to buy new luggage before our Thailand trip next May. One case got smashed on my outward journey last time and the other got damaged in the car accident.
If I had intended to buy anything though it was socks - interesting long ones to wear with skirts in the wintertime.
But Sock Shop was nowhere to be seen; a quick look on the internet suggests that they now sell on-line only.
Our lunch was not grand actually. We bought something to eat and drink from Marks and Spencers and sat watching people and talking.
We had a long talk about the new kitchen plans.
I had to voice my doubts. People who know me will be aware that I would worry about spending a lot of money needlessly - but the doubts are not just about money.
I feel comfortable in my nest - looking a bit dated maybe and in need of some re decoration and renovation at some point in the future perhaps. But it is my "safe" place.
I had to express my views about the need for change and what Bill thought he might get out of it.
I guess I might just feel that by admitting the need for change I am stating that the way we have had things for the last 25 years is not good enough and what we did then was second rate in some way.
I think Bill was surprised and he didn't quite know what to make of me (well, whats new about that?).
I pointed out that our own parents would look at our kitchen with a feeling of wonder when they compare it to what they had. But we can't live our lives based on their opinions.
And neither should I cling on to who I was 25 years ago. I am different now and the home has been through a number of evolutions in our long lives.
The lady from Charlwood Kitchens will come on Tuesday and we will listen and learn and then decide on things.
If anybody helps us it will be them rather than cobbling together a mish mash of bits and pieces for us to sort ourselves.
Then we took ourselves off for a nice hot drink at Cafe Nero, slumped in comfortable easy chairs, watching the world go by. There was gentle music playing and watching the varied people parading back and forth in front of us reminded me of a choreographed dance. We were joined by a couple of women off to Turkey for 2 weeks. Its good to chat.
Earlier we had looked at luggage on sale. The lady in the shop did point out that we have the same store in Crawley Mall - also with the good deals.
But a look round left us with thoughts. I particularly liked the strong hold-alls which you can now get with wheels and a handle.
But first we spent a while doing more people watching. There is a vantage point on the first floor where you can watch the passengers who have recently landed come through from baggage reclaim and customs to be greeted by waiting friends and family.
I picked on a few waiting people to watch. There was the attractive woman and her man - waiting maybe for an offspring. And there was the handsome young man with a bouquet of flowers - surely waiting for a woman.
Lots of people came through with lots of hugs and kisses.
How come I picked on the people waiting the longest?
I knew the mother would rush forward when she saw.... her daughter it must have been. I wonder how long she had been away.
Still the young man stood with his flowers, looking at his watch from time to time, using his phone too. We made up stories about his love..... she wasn't coming after all, she had been stopped by customs with evil contraband and so on.
Eventually she arrived, with her blonde hair and smiles. At last our young man could relax and hold her in his arms. I missed the main moment with the camera - but here they are and the flowers.
Then we went back and bought the new luggage! A few hours at the airport had put me into holiday mood - more relaxed and ready to have what I wanted.
Now the bags are home, Bill wonders if we should have bought the slightly smaller size - but with a soft bag it doesn't actually matter if it is full or not. Anyway, I am sure it might be full when we go to Thailand.
As we got money from the insurance company for the case damaged in the car accident we don't feel we have spent very much. We got more than one of the luggage bags cost.
Then it was time to to go out into the real world again and catch the bus home.
It is good to see how many air passengers now use the Fastway bus rather than wait for expensive taxis. When the bus service started, we thought we were the only ones. Today we chatted with a happy couple, about our age, who had enjoyed a lovely time in Sorrento. What a wonderful part of Italy is that coastline.
So that was our day. It has felt like a holiday. It was a spontaneous decision to go there and it has made us feel good.
Goodnight.