Wednesday, September 03, 2008

 

3rd Sept. Gut, parcels, kitchens and Felix.

I failed to make a list of Things to Do today. I had a bad night with my gut and needed rest.
During the day I felt a bit stronger thankfully.
I have resolved to nibble less - and that is hard! As I sit here my hand desperately wants to be plunging into a bag of jelly babies or rice crackers.
I have put on a few pounds in the last 2 or 3 months and this must be halted and I would like to get back to about 10 and a half stone, instead of nearly 11 stone.
I have stopped taking the Calcium/Vitamin D medication, because it could be that which is making digestion worse.
Bill saw a doctor this morning to be assessed as to the impact of the car accident. It was a more thorough investigation than I had.
There is nothing more now that we have to do relating to the accident, except perhaps to receive compensation cheques at some point in the future.
I dealt with a few payments and we found a gap between the showers to walk to the post office with the parcels.
This afternoon we seem to have started a project that is going to cost us. It has been on the cards for some time.
Bill and I talked ages ago about the desirability of replacing some aspects of things in the kitchen. I agreed that the work top could be changed, although I am quite happy with what we have really. But the surface has gone a permanent slightly sticky. Books tend to stick to it if left for too long.
Then Bill wondered about new cupboard doors. He spent a while investigating this.
But kitchen cupboards have changed dimensions in the many years since the cupboards were installed. We could have doors specially made for the present cupboards - but that could cost as much as completely new cupboards.
It all seemed a problem and with our own health problems, the idea got shelved.
Today I suddenly felt that just with buying an expensive item like a car it ought to be done quickly.
So we went to Charlwood to see the people who fitted the kitchen we have now. It is a small company who we liked dealing with.
The lady owner is coming next Tuesday to discuss what we need. Meanwhile we have thick brochures to browse through.
We must also think about the floor. Maybe we will have a new carpet. We have a carpet and a huge rug now and it works very well for us. And in fact a carpet is a cheaper option than ceramic tiles.
Bill wants new kitchen taps - that's something we didn't replace last time. And I have wondered about a large white butler's sink.
And so it goes on - the bill will large. But we have the money to pay other people to do it and I would much rather do it without too much hassle and without Bill bending and stretching and worrying.
On the way back we called in at Ifield to see how Ruth is. Surely today was the last time that we will see her pregnant. She is enormous and ready for the new little baby boy.
When I wished them a good time with the new baby, Dede said firmly "Tonight!" I guess that might be wishful thinking - but the wait won't be very long.
Dede had a great few minutes throwing Felix up into the air.
Here are a couple of pictures.
Felix is rather blurred in the second one because he was in flight!

Right, I shall put the kettle on and watch Who Do You Think You Are - this week about Esther Rantzen.
And hope for a better sleep.
Goodnight.