Friday, September 12, 2008

 

12th Sept. A full and varied day.

It has been a busy day.
But I will recount it briefly (ish).
This morning Andrew, the kitchen man came round and stayed an age. Of course conversation strayed far and beyond kitchens.
He will prepare 2 estimates - one for completely new cupboards throughout and the other just for new cupboards to be hung on the walls and new doors for elsewhere.
Assuming that Andrew produces what is needed at a price we think is reasonable enough, then he is our man.
Once he had finished his cup of coffee and left us, we hurried up to the bus stop to catch the bus into town. We did wonder if we might have missed it and so decided to walk.
It was as well we walked because there was a notice at the bus station saying that there would be no buses on our route - I wonder why.
There was good and bad about the trip to town.
The bad was my foolish idea to look at shoes. I checked out all the charity shops just to see if they might have something a bit more feminine that would feel comfortable. Better luck next time maybe.
We had to go into T J Hughes and so I decided to look at shoes in there. They had some called "Comfort Fit" - and comfortable they might have been if I could have got my foot into them!
I soon felt frustrated.
Yet I am glad we went in because I have seen just the curtains I would like in the kitchen.
I bought Sloggis whilst in there - posh knickers! Good price.
As we walked past the newly refurbished Sri Lankan restaurant we were greeted by a man with 2 plates of food to sample.
We had quite a long chat with the man and enjoyed the free samples.
We had eaten in this restaurant once before, with Ashley, when it was under the previous management.
They do cheap lunchtime menus and we will be back.
That was the best bit of being in town this morning.
We also bought a small travelling hair dryer in Argos for £4.95. It is not needed just for hair - I like to use a hair dryer to ensure that my skin is completely dry at bag changing time.
Then we caught a bus home - different route.
We had a quick lunch and then I was dealing with really good sales on Ebay.
I had 6 things finishing and all sold. These 6 books had cost me £5. They sold for £46.
The amazing one was a small booklet produced by Romary, the Tunbridge Wells biscuit company. It sold for £23. The buyer is "so pleased to have this elusive little book".
Then we were out again to get some food supplies in.
This evening we have been out again to the post card club. The speaker tonight was Tony Killick, one of our oldest friends, who gave us a miscellany of Charlwood childhood memories. His memory for details is good and he has hoarded a lot of ephemera and artefacts.
I think he got up to a great deal more than any of the Monks who were still there at that time. He was born in 1933, so Bill's Dad (and others) would still have been a Charlwood resident at the time.
It was great fun.
And yes we came home with a raffle prize! It is a box of fudge with a message "Thank you for looking after our cat". Maybe we can save it up until next weekend and give it to Frieda, who will be feeding George and Harry whilst we are in Wales.
Well, it is getting late.
I wish Roger and Sue well with all their entries at the Market Lavington flower show - there will be prizes a plenty I am sure.
Best wishes again to our new family member - nameless, as yet.
Goodnight - must get some sleep. We have a full day planned for tomorrow.