Monday, August 20, 2007

 

6th August Flowers and fruits from Wiltshire - and elsewhere.

We all love fruits and flowers.
We enjoyed both from a Wiltshire garden.

The garden at Locksands is full of fruit trees, bushes, canes and vines. We enjoyed eating the fruits for our dessert with home made shortbread and meringues for the gluten free eaters. like me.
All the fruits you see, except the banana, were Wiltshire grown. Sue has not yet planted a banana tree.


After an afternoon in the garden there was a little rain - creating a lovely double (just) rainbow over Salisbury Plain.


The water lily - home of the water fairies of course.

Bill photographed the mesembryanthems in bright sunlight. Later the petals were closed, which no doubt made a cosy home for the fairies.


Here is another mesembryanthem. I had to turn to the web to check the spelling of the flower and found a wonderful site for photographs. I should think both Bill and Roger could submit nature photographs to it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ascott/page7/
I guess the 2 photos I have "stolen" were taken by somebody called Ascott and calls themselves There and Back Again.
Jamie uses this site to store photos.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jamiemonk/
Anyway - back to Wiltshire.
Bill loves to find an insect on a flower. This is an allium I think.


I have included this crocosmia from the website album I found just because Roger always says he treasures this flower.