Wednesday, August 01, 2007

 

21st July Ford car boot sale in the sunshine.

We normally arrive at Ford at about quarter to eight on a Saturday morning, shortly after the stall holders begin to set up.
It is over 30 miles from home but we think it is worth making the journey.
Car boot sales seem to have different atmospheres and at Ford there are more dealers than we might see at other sales - its like a sort of flea market with a chance for for regular families to come and sell their unwanted goods as well.
Some of the dealers think they might get silly prices for their things. I know a lot of money changes hands at Ford - but of course we are always careful and think hard before parting with our money.



The stalls are set up along the length of a disused aircraft runway. There are two long avenues of stalls.

Bill bends to have a close look at something on the table - he didn't buy from that stall.

And we didn't buy furniture - although there are many bargains to be found.


Perhaps I should have asked the price of this collection of monks. I have bought and sold monks before - quite recently I had 2 monk decanters which made a profit.
But we met these monks early in the day and it is hard to get started sometimes.


Some people were already queuing for some breakfast. There are quite a few food vans - or chuck wagons as Bill refers to them.


We have bought a tray of chips from the wagons sometimes in the past, but these days prefer to do our buying and then go somewhere more interesting for some refreshment.

Children were fascinated by this stuffed animal on a stall - is he a stoat or a weasel?

There are always lots of plant stalls. We don't have room for one of these ferns right now - but next year I might create some space for one.

This lady had no customers just then and was enjoying a rest, sitting on the back of her car, in the sunshine with her dogs.


These plates would have been at home in either a smart antiques shop or a Georgian dining room. I think if they had been hand painted then the asking price might have been more than £75 for the lot.
And of course a price quoted at a boot sale doesn't have to be the final price; there should be bargaining. If I had wanted the plates I would have been cheeky and offered £50 and gradually there would have been some agreement with the seller.
Of course I tend not to buy things for that sort of amount of money.


These are not carved marble statues, but cast concrete I would think.


I chatted with a family about my little project, telling them all about my family in Thailand. I asked if I could take some photos of their toys - always lots of toys and children's clothes at a car boot sale. The little girl was keen that her picture should be sent to Thailand.
People are mostly very friendly at car boot sales.


This toy stall would have been a paradise for many a little girl.


And a picture of Bill to finish with. He was keen to find old cameras last Saturday - but nothing worth having was to be found.
I'll have to put another car boot sale on the blog sometime, just to show the variety of things we see.
My philosophy is that if you think you need something in your life then it will turn up at a car boot sale within a couple of months. And on the occasions when we have been impatient and bought new - then the same thing has been seen on a stall within a few days!