Thursday, June 21, 2007

 

21st June Summer Solstice

This is the time of the Summer Solstice - the day when we are closest to the sun.
The hours of light are long - from before 4 in the morning until after 10 o'clock at night.
The hours of darkness are short.
This time is a time for celebrations and rituals and some craziness.

Bill and I decided to go out and be a little crazy.

It was almost 8 o'clock in the evening when we left the house, so we couldn't go too far. We decided to take a walk at Tilgate Park.


I love trees. They have such strength and stand tall for centuries. I like to touch the trunks of trees. But this tree has such ferny soft leaves and I always love to feel them.



I danced round the tree and made a wish.
I remembered an old fashioned word - so I can tell you that I danced round it widdershins - anti clockwise.

The curly roots and branches alongside the paths looked sort of crazy. Bill turned this picture to black and white which enhances the eeriness and darkness of night time woods.

But it wasn't yet night time of course - there was still an hour before sunset.


We met few people round the lake - a few dog walkers and some all night fishermen were getting settled in their cosy little tents.
But I did spy this strange man taking photographs in the approaching darkness.

The park has some wood sculptures and we played games around them.



Bill has created a summer solstice flower with a very interesting centre!



Safe in a wooden hand. I think this seat looks like a hands.

It was getting quite dark as we strolled back to the car. I felt I should talk to the green metal lion close to the nature centre.

Nest time I will share some pictures we took of the lake and the flowers.