Wednesday, June 20, 2007

 

19th June. Rocking Horse.

I have now sorted out the one area in Rocking Horse which will be the one I keep going.
The other area is my half price sale place for about the next 2 months



This is my little space in the shop. It is a long time since I have had to cram all my interests into such a tiny area.


These shelves have things connected with motherhood and childhood.


And here is the kitchen.



This little corner has 2 themes.
There are books and china and old bottles connected with Sussex and the neighbouring counties.
And there is a tray with lots of sheet music, a few records and books about music - and a lovely tambour, which I am surprised has stayed with me for so long.


The china here has a 1950s theme, though some of it is newer than that. I like to sort it by colour.

The cabinet has things which maybe are of greater value.
I also put things in there which are pretty just because there is nowhere else for it to go.
On the top are Royal souvenirs. The earliest I have just now is for the Coronation of Edward VII in 1902.



And here I am enjoying what I have created.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The next pictures show my other area - which has become a sort of Bargain Basement. Everything is half the marked price.
There are some very good bargains indeed because I had already reduced the price on things I felt I had kept for far too long. For instance there is a Hornsea coffee pot which I had already reduced to £2 - yours for just £1 now.
I just want to clear as much as possible the easiest way I know how.
Later on I expect we will have to take lots to car boot sales to sell.





I have tried to keep some sort of order on my shelves in this area, but as you see things are not artistically arranged.



Below is the view of the sale area as seen from the desk.
Bill created the very professional looking sale notices after we bought the big red 50% OFF notice. He scanned it and used the images to make more.

I am a bit sad that I have felt I should reduce my display space, but Times They are a Changing and I am not able to sell enough to cover the rent any more.
The business is not the same as it was.
I suppose I can see that many people now prefer to go hunting at car boot sales and on the pages of EBay - just as I do.
Small shops are dying and small antiques fairs no longer survive in any numbers.
I will look forward to the future though and not look back to how things used to be.