Wednesday, May 02, 2012

 

Aquifers and vintage stuff.

It doesn't sound much work to have photographed and described just 13 things for EBay.
But I'm not sure that I achieved much else.
It stayed dry almost all day - but gloomy grey. But early evening it started to rain again.
We have just been watching a programme about the drought. It is all too easy to laugh about a drought situation after the wettest April for 100 years.
But in the last 2 years there have only been 2 months with dramatically high rainfall. Most months the amount has been below average.
The reservoirs are at a low level.
The reservoirs are important but much of the water that comes to our homes does not get piped from reservoirs;
It's all about the aquifers.
Our aquifers are very, very dry. If you live in SE England you should be worried about the state of the aquifers.
Probably many, like me, have never heard of aquifers.
Basically an aquifer is a natural underground huge cavity that is filled with water - except right now the aquifers are not filled with water.
Another dry winter and we get to face quite serious problems.
So - lets have no more grumbling about the rain! Except that I will grumble if I can't get to a boot sale this weekend.

So, back to my work for the day - it was an exercise in parts of getting the words vintage and retro as many times as possible into my description.
I had bought half a dozen things home from the shop that I thought should try and return some money to my purse through EBay.

Hands up who remembers this Max Factor perfume?
Well - you're quite old!
It was introduced in 1956.
These cats with perfume were sold in great numbers the Christmas I had a job at the Co-op. That would have been later than 1956 - probably 1959/60.














I also described some books. Mostly local history/transport books.
And then there were 2 platform tickets.
Bill had been tidying up a few bits the other day and came through and asked "What shall I do with these?"
I laughed and said I would try and sell them.
They date from the mid 1970s.

























Yes, readers from overseas.....there really is a place in wales with that long name.
I would suggest it is unpronouncable.......but Ecky, reared in North Wales, pronounces it beautifully.
I opened the bidding at 99p (costs me nothing) just to see what would happen.

The Max Factor has a watcher - nothing for the other things yet.

Looking forward now to a cup of tea and some raspberry sorbet and fruit.