Monday, August 03, 2009

 

Collectable enthusiasms at home and in Dorking.

I might have planned to write more for tonight - but exhaustion has taken over.

I have spent the evening discussing Sindy dolls.
Ekatarina has been studying my big history book on the subject and is quickly absorbing all sorts of details.
Of course, at her age enthusiasms can be short lived - but it is a pleasure to feel Ecky's joy as she explores this new interest.
We have looked at Sindy on EBay - no, we won't be bidding on the boxed first doll with a bid already at £129 - and with 5 more days to run.
I have put bids in on a couple - with warnings that these may go well above what we want to pay. Early Sindy's are very collectable, as are the accessories. I like Sindy so much more than Barbie.

What of the day?
We all went to Dorking.
It was obvious that Ecky was outside her comfort zone in the shop - though there was nobody else about. So she and Ashley didn't stay long and headed back to Crawley on the train.
My morning was difficult - the dreaded wee bag problem! But, for the first time ever it has been dealt with successfully out of my comfort zone for dealing with these things. So that is an achievement.

Bill has sold really well in the last week -almost as good as some entire months.
And we both added to our sales today.
I asked Bill to put 2 hooks on my shelves for items bought yesterday - old bread boards with lovely collages of wheat and dried cereals etc. Within the hour one of the hooks was redundant because one of the bread boards was off to another home.
Bill has been busy helping the women folk - me of course with bag and hooks.
He sorted out a new light in his own cabinet.
Then he sorted one out for Julie and then he did the same for Ann.
What a lovely man, they all think. And they are right!
Bill even did the post office run this week - because I wasn't sure if I could trust being away from the facilities.

We had a very busy spell for a while - just when both Monika and Bill were out of the shop.
So I had Julie helping with wrapping and dealing with money. She's fine - but one gets the feeling that she is there more for the social occasion than the work.
She is always coming up with old French sayings....
Today we had one which began "La vie est comme un baton merde......", pray forgive the use of the last word, French speakers!
I can't remember the last part in French.
But basically it means that life is like a "crappy" stick which it is difficult to grasp hold of.
I said that normally I have a good hold on the stick - but unfortunately sometimes drop it and can find it takes a while to pick it up again.

So that has been the day.
The weather forecast for tomorrow is not as bad as I feared and we plan to go to Hastings to visit the 1066 experience.

Goodnight.