Tuesday, February 17, 2009

 

This was not Monday, but Tuesday.

I wrote on facebook today "Tuesday is the new Monday."
I don't suppose anybody understood what I meant.

For many years now - ever since I recovered from the long spell of health problems in the 1990s, I have needed a day of rest after a spell of activity.
I have aimed to make sure that my weekends have been full - hunting at car boot sales, maybe selling at a fair (though not these days) or officiating at athletics; these things have filled my Saturdays and Sundays.
This was fine - I could always chill out on Monday.

When I first began being in antiques centres (at Turners Hill) I did Thursdays. Then, since about 1997 I did Tuesdays - both in Horsham and after that in Ardingly.
But since the beginning of December I have had Monday as a duty day in a shop. So I get 3 days of activity - followed by a day when I feel fit for nothing.
Tuesdays seem to be a dead loss.

And it is made harder when I have had a poor night's sleep, like last night.
Maybe it is because I have got lazy and not bothered with taking a supply of decaffeinated tea bags to the shop and I drink cups of caffeine all day.
Next week I will make sure I have my own tea bags with me.

I haven't done absolutely nothing. I had 5 things selling on EBay this afternoon - farewell to some old friends. Thank goodness!
I sold an ashtray - a souvenir of Carnlough in Northern Ireland - it has a transfer print on and a china pipe stuck on it. I think this has been part of my stock for 6 or 7 years!
So praise be for Ebay because now I can send it on to its rightful home in Carnlough, Northern Ireland; and I have made some money on it too.


Isn't it awful really!

Another item that I have had for nearly 3 years is an infant's feeding bowl with a Mabel Lucie Attwell print in the base, made by the china company Shelley. These things are very collectable, but I knew when I bought this (and another) from an acquaintance that the transfer had faded, and it has failed to attract the collectors in the shops.
Well, today I have been able to sell the first one. Unfortunately I sold it for less than I paid for it - but something is better than nothing. And it was only a small loss.
Now I shall try the other one and see if I can part with that too.

I have already mentioned the silly milk bottle top - and showed you a picture a few days ago.
It sold for £4.20.
Now picture this - a serious occasion in the Bristol Register Office - a wedding or the registering of a death maybe. A quiet an unassuming woman named Deborah might be dealing with people in a manner befitting the occasion. Little do the people know that our Deborah is in the habit of buying quirky milk bottle tops!
Yes, the address I have to send it to is the Register office.

I also concocted a chicken meal.
I think I have become quite adept at making things up and getting them right - most of the time. This dish started with sauteed onion, leek, celery and courgette. The chicken was marinaded in soy sauce, ginger, paprika and.... at the last minute I changed my mind. I didn't use the honey I had planned - but emptied the last of a jar of lingonberry jam. Then I made a mustard white sauce - using up the soya milk I had in for the smoked haddock last week.
It was good - and we will finish it tomorrow.

Bill has been busy in the bathroom - not much appears to have been done, but plans are in place and tomorrow will see us in B & Q for the 10% discount day for the old folk.
Bill walked down to the doctors today for his appointment. He was back much sooner than I expected. That was because he was greeted with "Your appointment is not until next Tuesday!". He wants to see a doctor about swollen ankles. This might be connected with his high blood pressure problems - which of course medication has now eased a lot.

Time for a cuppa. Goodnight.