Sunday, February 22, 2009

 

The Sunday hunt.

Today, after a short break, was the first of the Horley car boot sales of the year. This is not really an event to stir the "hunting" breast - for some reason Horley doesn't attract the sort of sellers that interest me. But of course, we called in on our way back from Dorking.

Dorking had been interesting - there is a good variety of stalls, some manned by people who deal regularly and there are others set up by people clearing out their bits and pieces. The stalls were really squeezed in today and the organisers had to turn people away. We found some interesting things - they will all be for sale of course. But I do wonder about keeping the copy of Ripley's Believe it or Not, for it is just the same edition as the one we had at home when I was a child. The weird and wonderful tales of people fascinated me - even alarmed me at times. There are line drawings of people with plates in their tongues and masses of rings to stretch their necks.
Bill bought some glass slides of London scenes, which are lovely and he will give the edges a little attention before selling them.

And so, off to Horley with hope that there might be just one to stall to captivate us. We sauntered round, glancing at the succession of stalls which all looked the same - all piled high with the same things it seemed - and nothing that any of our buyers would want and not that we would want either. In truth it was tat!
We bought nothing.

We were home again by 9 o'clock. Many folks might still be enjoying a long lie in at that time.

Bill did another little job in the bathroom. he decided not to use the plastic strip, that he bought yesterday, round the bath - instead he used a white sealant in a tube and I think it looks much better.

We enjoyed dinner in the middle of the day today - chicken in a red wine sauce and roast potatoes etc.
We felt warm, satisfied and tired afterwards and soon drifted off to sleep.

But I had to rouse myself and get on with some wrapping and dealing with sales. There was one star item today. Many years ago I began to collect various editions of Peter Pan. I had such strong memories of Dad reading it to me when I was a child. But that collection is no more. Today I sold a hard back book which was the souvenir programme for a Peter Pan Pageant in Liverpool when a statue was unveiled in 1928. Today it sold for £27.

Bill meanwhile went out to clean the car.
Then he cleaned up and mended a mantel clock that he bought last week at Ford. I have written up all my purchases and so we have fresh things to take to the shop tomorrow.

This evening we have rested in front of Sunday evening TV.

And we intend to have an early night - but I have just noticed 2 more payments have come in and so I will deal with them first.

So, another new week begins.