Monday, February 23, 2009

 

The shop opened late

It was a busy day at the shop - but with a bad start.
We arrived in Dorking and as I left the car I reached into my bag for the shop key...... and then remembered that I had put it in a coat pocket last Monday as we walked back to the car and failed to transfer it to my bag.
So we couldn't get in. We would have to wait for Monika - surely she wouldn't be much after 10 o'clock.
But she was and we were getting cold.
We knew that there is a spare key in a friend's shop across the way - but only the friend's son was there and he wasn't sure where they were.
So out came my mobile phone - I phoned Stephen and he was able to tell us where those spare keys were and Philip came over and unlocked for us. It was by then gone quarter to eleven.
I don't think there had been customers trying to get in - so no harm done.

Monika turned up late because she had been dealing with her daughter - a woman somewhere about 30. We do know that the daughter has had a difficult time (post natal depression I think) and Monika feels that she has to be a rock for the young woman, though there is a husband. It was a complicated story involving doctors and a severe allergic reaction to something.
Monika is deeply into all things weird and wonderful and she felt sure that what her daughter needed was a few days of "detox". Monika is in to a macrobiotic diet and foods being yin and yang. I think a macrobiotic diet is the sort of thing you hang onto - except on the days you don't want to! Then you beat yourself up and aim for a spell of detox.
Still, I guess that these beliefs give her something concrete to hang onto in her stressed world.

In my book, these days, I also divide food into 2 sorts - those that work with my body and those that do battle with it. And I also stick to it until the day comes when I don't want to any more. And yes, then I can suffer and have to ease myself back to what is good sense for me. So i suppose we are not so very different, except that I don't see my food regime as a sort of religion.



Anyway, back to business. The morning was quite slow. This gave us time to put out some fresh stock and then for Bill and me to go to the post office with parcels.
Monika was out for a couple of hours at lunch time and Bill and I got busy in the shop.
I sold a couple of items for myself - interestingly 2 things which I moved this morning. That often happens, you know - handle the item and it gives out positive vibes to people. Now, who do I think I am - Monika?


My takings for the week were good and with a week to go until the next rent day we see that we have enough profit from which to pay the rent. That is how it ought to be. Bill had a quiet week - but he can't be the star turn all the time.


We both nodded off watching TV after dinner this evening. I was watching about the vote for people's favourite supermarket. It was hardly a scientific study because just viewers of one channel were voting and it seemed to reflect mostly on people's aspirations, rather than on their real experiences. The top supermarket was not actually the one that came out best on price or quality. It was Waitrose - the place you go because you like the feeling of actually being a Waitrose person!
I shall watch more TV at 9 o'clock and if I fall asleep during Who Do You Think You Are, I shall have to watch the repeat tomorrow.
Goodnight.