Tuesday, November 11, 2008

 

Medical test, shopping, shelves & Niton Oratory.

Suddenly today the clouds disappeared and there has been sunshine.
But we have again been indoors for most of the day.
Today was the day to sort out shelves in rooms other than the kitchen.
We made a brief start before a medical appointment. Today was the day of a routine breast screening for me. Despite a history of cancer I do tend not to be worried too much about cancer in the breast; though it will, of course, be good to get confirmation in writing that all seems to be well. That will be in about 3 weeks.
The travelling XRay facility was parked in the Sainsbury's car park. We needed a little, so it made sense to use this supermarket, which I don't normally choose.
I was struck immediately by the higher prices.
We spent quite a bit. We needed a good supply of cat food and a few other things and soon I was looking in the trolley and realising we were getting close to £50 - and for the last day of the offer we would get 5p a litre off fuel for the car if we spent over £50. So we made an effort, by buying some cider and chutney and our total came to £51 - now we must wait until the car is almost running on empty and then fill up.
I am pleased with the way I have moved things around in the house, enjoying seeing things with fresh eyes.
Tomorrow I will have to set to work on the back bedroom. I have thrown out some things already and I guess there may be more as I deal with all that is piled on the bed.
I think I am truly beginning to believe the opening line of one of my favourite books, "The Go Between " by L P Hartley....... "The past is a foreign country, they do things differently there."

The past is not something that I need to cling on to come what may.
The people of the past matter to me - and I still keep many things that were a part of the people I love or have loved. But I have carefully , for example, about 100 magazines - Book and Magazine Collector, for many years. I don't look at them and they are serving no purpose. It would be better that the paper is recycled to be useful again.


But I do love the past. The latest episode of our Isle of Wight holiday moved me just because of its long connection with the past.
It was perhaps my favourite IW place, blessed as we were with a sunny day.
We walked up the hill to the oratory, not far from our village.
You can see some history of this tower on the information board which we photographed.
I just loved to touch the 700 year old stones and to feel close to the hundreds and thousands of people over the centuries who have climbed the hill like we did.
I am sure they raised their heads too, to enjoy the wonderful views.
I loved the chalk hill, like the South Downs on the mainland.


Just the tower remains - standing tall over the south coast of the Isle of Wight.



I really enjoyed the climb up the hill - but was glad of my stick on the journey down.

You would have to click on this one to be able to read the brief history.



There was a trig point at the very top of the hill. Gone are the days when a photograph was taken of one of us standing on top of the little column. We no longer have the strength for such feats.
But the view could hardly have been better from a vantage point only a few feet higher.


This view is across the green of the Isle of Wight to the north. The sea of The Solent is just visible.
One last back to this splendid spot.