Saturday, May 05, 2007

 

5th May. Disappointment and rewards. Bluebells.

Today we went for a short walk.


We didn't find what we were looking for - but were rewarded by the most superb bluebells.


We drove along Parish Lane from Pease Pottage and parked the car where the road petered out. We walked down the steep track to a bridge across the main London to Brighton Railway Line.


I seemed to remember that you could see the mouth of Balcombe Tunnel from there. But it has been 25 years maybe since were at that spot. I wanted to compare the views today with an old postcard I have recently bought on EBay. In fact the tunnel is just round the bend and what we could see was an arched bridge.




We continued on the track for a while and were stunned by the exquisite bluebells. It is a long time since I have seen them so good.
Bill went one way and I went the other - maybe I got the best deal!
The first 3 photographs shown here are mine.




The carpet of sweetly scented deep blue flowers spread through the woods way into the distance.