Wednesday, November 29, 2006

 

Rocking Horse in December


Today I will show you one of my spaces in Rocking Horse, the antiques and collectors' shop.
I often change the layout of the stock, but the shape of my space stays the same of course.
It is a small and quite narrow shape, but there is enough room for people to browse.








I decided that, with Christmas coming, I would make the collectable toys a strong feature for a few weeks.

I have some shelves for kitchen things. Most of the things could be used, but I think that most people who buy will have the things to make an interesting display in their kitchens.














Here is a close up of some of the toys.











I bought that needlework set last Sunday in Dorking. It is complete and unused.
The little monkey came from a car boot sale in Wiltshire when we were with Roger and Sue. Sue thought it was ugly!

I arrange my china and glass into colours.
I seem to have a lot of blue at the moment.
The glass clowns are very collected and should sell for £30 or £40 - I am just waiting for the buyer to come and find him.





Black and yellow is typically 1950s.
The younger generation after the war loved to experiment with new ideas and turned their backs on the pretty floral designs of pre war days.






Red also was popular in the 1950s and 1960s.
The plate in the front with the couple on it is from Norway and people collect that manufacturer.
I bought that last Sunday.





This is the first view that customers would have of this area.
The shop is very long and not very wide.
People tend to come in and walk round the shop in a clockwise direction, looking mostly to their left first.
My area is on the right, so I think it is important to attract people's attention before they get to the end of the shop.


At the moment there are 14 of us selling in the shop. The 14 of us take turns to look after the shop and we are open every day.
Each of us could be selling to the customers every day, even when we are not there.
Every item is priced with our own code (usually our initials) and the ticket also states how much can be knocked off the price if anybody asks - and nearly everybody does these days. Most of us also have a code for the item so that we can keep track of it in our own records.
All the sales and the tickets are recorded in the sales book.
At the end of each day the person on duty adds up and then makes sure that each person has the right amount of money. It works very well.

Scroll down a while to find previous entry.