Friday, May 22, 2009

 

Sapan Hin

Heavy rain and thunder during the night and as we awoke this morning.
There have been plans for an early morning trip to the Big Buddha on Buddha Mountain. Today was not the day for such things.
I suggested that maybe we could get Jessica's birthday present whilst we were in Thailand - it would save a lot on postage.
The first suggestion from Jamie and Mam was a school bag on wheels.
We couldn't find anything suitable - just as well really. Because we were told that it really wasn't a good idea.
We still haven't got anything for her, so I guess the postage will have to be paid after all.
We called in at Tesco to look for a few bits - the muscle cramp cream that I like to use and a cheap equivalent of Vick's rub.
We then went to the Central Mall. Malls remind me of my Dad - not because he was a fan, of course. But he always said something like "Why would I want to go there? They have nothing I would want to buy."
I feel like that too.
They did have one thing we looked at - a cheap novelty mobile of birds with feathers. We have one already - they wanted the equivalent of 6 pounds! No way!
We met Jamie and Mam for lunch at a Japanese restaurant. They like this one - but I still have such good memories of the other one that I was disappointed not to be there.
And I was disappointed with my meal really. The chicken was fatty and greasy. I gave most of it to Bill, who assumed he was eating pork! Maybe that explains why I didn't like it so much. The best bit was the water melon shake - wonderful.
After lunch Bill and I sat around at home whilst the children were collected from school. The school run can take a long time.
Then Jamie took us to Sapan Hin - shame not to have discovered it before. It is a lovely park and well maintained at the point where the broad canal flows out to sea.
Tonight it was specially interesting because there was fair of local crafts and foods and plants etc. People came and bought snacks of all kinds and picnicked under the trees overlooking the view. It is also a place for exercise - power walkers and joggers did circuits of the well laid path round the park.
We saw heavy rustic furniture and wood carvings and later we found the bird mobiles that we had looked at in Central. This time the price was 2 pounds. Hooray! I also bought a box, carved from a tree branch and painted with a Buddha head. Bill and Jamie had a drink of Chumpon iced coffee and both bought a packet of the coffee to take home. I had guava juice.
I could have spent all evening there and perhaps we could go back on Monday early evening.
It was a very local affair - I think we were the only foreigners.
We hurried back though because Mam had phoned to say she was cooking after all for her friends. Mam's friend, Po, is very sweet. She is married to an Australian and has 3 sons. We ate out doors.
Now we must pack a bag for our weekend away - one night in Krabi.
There will be no blog tomorrow.
Hope you have a good weekend - we read that the UK can expect a "scorcher" for the bank holiday weekend.