Thursday, May 21, 2009

 
Today is being a rest day..... about time too, you might say!


I left you yesterday as we prepared to go to Phuket Brewery.


We had young children with us and perhaps were the first patrons of the evening. And on a Wednesday evening the vast bar and eating area remained very underused. It is much more lively later and at weekends.
But we were there to celebrate Grandad's birthday and we dressed up a little for the occasion. Strange to see Bill and Jamie looking just a little like twins in their long trousers (first time for Bill since our journey here) and their matching new black shirts.

We ordered food.
At this point my brain must have fallen out of gear.
The menu was extensive, so why on earth did I follow Bill and Jamie and order fish and chips?
I already knew my digestion was not really well.
They thought it was very tasty - I was less sure; maybe I already knew I had made a mistake. I should stick to rice.

As we dined an oriental group of musicians played on the vast stage.
As soon as he could John left us and went and sat near the front to gaze adoringly at the musicians. He loves music and dance.
Later a competent group of musicians backed various singers and we heard both American soft rock and Thai.
Again John sat adoringly - and even stood on his chair to get a closer look. Soon the singers were talking to him.
I sat adoringly, looking at John!

Jessica seemed to enjoy the singing at first. But gradually her face showed some discontent...."They told me there would be a magic show!"
Eventually the magic began at just gone 9 o'clock.
Bless her - Jessica was amazed. As the illusionist showed more and more decks of cards appearing in his hands and best of all, the white doves, she turned to me and said "How the heck does he do that?"
I am so glad we stayed late for Jessica to see this show. No doubt she will go again some time.

We were home about 10 o'clock and the children went straight to bed and were asleep almost as soon as heads rested on pillows.

I had a bad night, digestively speaking. Time for more Immodium.

Today has been hot and humid and there is now thunder in the air - almost 4 o'clock.

We have relaxed at home, enjoying a little breakfast outdoors on the new table.

Later Jamie and Mam took us out to lunch. The restaurant is owned by a friend, Nung. She has been married to Charlie for 20 years. He works for a mining company and a short while back took a new job which took him to The Gambia. He was promptly put under house arrest for 9 months, mainly it seems for the apparent 'crimes' of previous managers of that company.
The restaurant is called Lakeside - and is, indeed, by a lake. It was pleasant and calm.
I enjoyed Pad Thai - rice noodles and prawns in a very mild sauce. I also sampled the deep fried tofu in tamarind sauce. The duck curry was also good.

Bill and I are now chilling out at home, leaving Jamie and Mam to collect the children alone today. They'll be back in about half an hour.
This evening I think Bill and Jamie will eat sandwiches and I will make some egg mayonnaise to have with rice cakes.