Tuesday, December 25, 2007

 

25th December An unusual Christmas.

Hello - it is Grandma P once again.
You probably miss Grandad B's lovely quirky style.
There will never be another Christmas like this one.
I started the day in a strange hospital bed and will end it in my own bed at home.
Last night I eventually settled down for the night, feeling frustrated and confused. I had waited all day for one doctor who seemed to know about my case with regard to the bodily fluids problems.
The doctor never came. I was close to discharging myself, but took the advice of Bill and the night nurse to stay for the night.
Bill left me at about 10 o'clock.
I felt tense and sad as the lights went down. Then the 87 year old woman in the next bed began to talk - not to me, but to her husband and others. She went on an on - loudly.
By 1 o'clock I felt defeated by everything and began to cry a little and then sobbed. I asked a night nurse if Room 1 was empty - there is a recliner chair in there and I was prepared to settle there for the rest of the night. But there was also a bed - and the nurse told me lay down and enjoy just a few hours peace on my own.
By breakfast time I went back to my own bed. I was glad to share some time with Beryl - the lady on the other side of me. She has her 70th birthday today and she was so glad to have some company when she opened her birthday cards.
Then the ward sister came to tell me that by that time the mythical doctor (well she seems a figment of imagination to me!) had now left the hospital. Jacky (sister) phoned the on call urology doctor and he decided that I should leave. I will get an appointment to see the endocrinology team for 4 weeks time. I must keep some record of how things go for me and to expect that life might continue in much the same way for a while yet. If the nausea and weakness and faintness is making me really ill then I can phone the ward and they will try to have me in.
Basically many hormones, enzymes, minerals, salts etc in my body are totally out of balance. We can only guess that I have been carrying the legacy of the previous illness imbalances plus new ones since the operation. I am not in particular pain. I get bad head aches and of course the pancreas flares as it has done for many a long year.
Bill arrived at 11 o'clock this morning. I was feeling quite nauseous. It is always worse during the morning.
Soon we were on our way home in the heavy rain.
I had a cup of tea and Bill got things ready for our Christmas lunch.
I then managed a shower and hair wash on my own.
We had a good turkey meal with roast potatoes and some veg.
This afternoon and evening we have watched lots of TV - Finding Nemo (one of little John's favourites), Shrek 2, Dr Who etc. I dozed a bit.
There are a few decorations up, which look lovely. There are some presents - about 3 - which I elected not to open today.
But generally it has not been a day to think of Christmas.
I have received today what I most wanted and that is to be at home and to have talked with our sons and grandchildren.
I am just happy to have Bill near me for he has been the most strong and supportive husband and friend one could ever wish for. He has had to give a lot of time and attention to me and my health over the years and he has done it so loyally and without a complaint.
I joked with him that he didn't really get his money's worth when he paid for a marriage licence all those years ago!
Soon I will go to bed.
I hope that you have had a good Christmas Day with many of the good things that were important for you this year.