Saturday, September 08, 2007

 

13th 14th August The bride and groom then and now.

The Ifield walk with Ekatarina took us to St Margaret's Church. The date was 13th August - just one day before our wedding anniversary.
So we talked about our wedding in the church. Then Ekatarina took the camera and told the story of our wedding day in pictures. I have added some taken 42 years ago as well.


The bride and groom stand at the altar.
The altar is modern and stylish and not at all like the altar that was still there in 1965. The interior of the church has altered quite a lot. No doubt it is much more comfortable for the worshippers, but I used to love being in that old church.


There are no pictures of us at the altar in 1965. We signed the register at a table to one side of the altar.


The bride and groom share a romantic moment together.

Ecky asked us to pose in the church porch. It is a good picture - but we didn't stop there 42 years ago. In fact we and our family and friends came out of the other church door.


The bride and groom pose outside the church.


And here we are posing 42 years ago. I like the short dress that I wore and the very 1960's navy blue bonnet of daisy like flowers too. But I am not sure about the gloves! I just had a notion that proper ladies wore long gloves on special occasions.
I still have some of the flowers pressed into my Bible. It was a proper bouquet created by Mrs Griffiths who lived opposite us and some other neighbours and it was their gift to me.


Posing with our parents and our 2 bridesmaids. Bill's parents are on the left and Paula's are on the right.
The adult bridesmaid is Diana who was my best friend at school. We are still in touch, but sadly we talk and meet very rarely these days.
Bill's youngest sister, Lesley, was also a bridesmaid.

Walking down the church path to the gate.
Our guests are way behind us - held up by my grandparents. Grandad Frost had severe arthritis and walked slowly.
This led to a moment in the church that was actually a mistake, but I loved it.
The organist saw that my Dad and I were at the end of the aisle and began to play the Wedding March. He hadn't realised how long it would take for Granny and Grandad to reach their seats - and it was they who walked down the aisle to the strains of The Wedding March. Dad and I began once the first hymn began - Praise My Soul the King of Heaven.



The bride and groom pose under the church lych gate.
Bill's mother obviously slipped by to be with us - determined to throw confetti.

Ready to climb into the wedding car. The car was an old Fiat belonging to John Bush who worked at the garage with Bill.


The bride looks back over 42 years together with her bridegroom.


St Margaret's Church.


The 2007 wedding bouquet - some wheat from The Quarter Mile and a few flowers.
Thank you Ekatarina for taking such lovely photos of us and helping us to remember our very special wedding day.