Friday, September 07, 2007

 

13th August Ifield Fields and Playground with Ekatarina.

The fields behind Ifield church were my childhood playground and in a changing world I really appreciate that these fields stay much the same.
I can remember walking the paths with my grandparents and today I walked with my own grand daughter.



This field is called The Quarter Mile.


Ekatarina waits for us to walk The Quarter Mile.


Walking with Grandad between the fields of wheat.



The wheat seems to have been ready for harvesting for some time.


The farmer probably does not appreciate "weeds" growing amongst his crop - but we thought it looked lovely.


The path takes us through the brambles to the back entrance of St Margaret's Church.
There will be more pictures of the church next time, telling the story of our wedding 42 years ago.

Blue plaques are springing up round the town and it is good to feel some sense of pride in the achievements of past residents.
Elizabeth Fry was a Quaker and I knew of her connection with The Friends Meeting House, but had not realised that she took he message to the local hostelries. This plaque was fixed to the wall of The Plough Inn.
Ekatarina claimed to know of Elizabeth Fry's work from her reading.


We crossed the village green where cricket is played every weekend during the summer. I can remember watching the cricket in the 1950's and playing as the adults chatted.
The playground is much more recent. Ecky liked this playground.

Ecky enjoyed giving her toys a ride - this doll is called Blondie.


I love this happy picture of Ecky pushing Blondie on the roundabout.