Saturday, January 06, 2007

 

HUNTING FOR BARGAINS IN MIDWINTER

Today we went out hunting - not to a car boot sale, but to a shop in Storrington.
It has been a grey and very wet day and not at all suitable for a car boot sale.
Stable Antiques is situated opposite the Village Hall in Storrington with easy access to street parking - just as well we could park close for we didn't want to walk far in the rain.
There are 34 stallholders on two floors of the Grade II listed building, which is 200 years old and full of character.The building lends itself well to antiques and items from yesteryear, as the name suggests, it was once a stable and still has the original cobbled floor, stalls and mangers. In the central courtyard is a covered well which would have supplied water to the stables and premises.








Just look at that blue sky!
These two pictures (below) came from the Stable Antiques web site.
They show quite well that it is a good place to rummage.
We found most of our stock from an area on the first floor, where the dealer had a half price sale - and her items were very cheap anyway.
We spent a total of £27 and that included a couple of items for us to keep.
My pictures below show the things I bought to sell in Rocking Horse.
The first picture has some novelty items. The toast rack was a promotional item for Lurpak butter some years ago and I know that they are collected. I like the enamel ladle.
The next picture has some 1960s china - we actually collected a little of the brown Denby Arabesque ourselves. The brown bear is an ornament from the USSR and there seems to be quite lot of interest in this make of ornaments. I sold a large tiger once for about £60. I hope the bear will sell for about £14.
The leaf dish in the third picture is made by Carlton and the type of china is known as Rouge Royale. I don't think it is very special and maybe it has now gone out of fashion. Ten years ago I could have sold it easily for about £30; I shall be happy to double my money on this piece - I bought it for £5. The little vase is Caithness glass.
The saucer in the 4th picture is for me. It will join my pile of saucers in the cupboard which are used for all sorts of things, from snacks to cat food.
It is really pretty I think.