Monday, January 01, 2007

 

Christmas is past - here is how it was for us!

Christmas is over.
We decided not to wait until January 6th to stow our Christmas bits back into their boxes.
This afternoon I took some photographs and now the things are in the loft for another year.

This year we created a display in one corner by the front window.
The top shelf is always devoted to nativity scenes. We now have quite a lot of 1950s plastic scenes, some of which play music.
The tree is made of twigs, painted silver.
We also have a collection of plastic Father Christmasses, sleighs and reindeers, along with snow globes, clockwork toys and other bits and pieces.
Above are some of this year's Christmas cards. Many are really attractive and have been home made and are too good to throw away. There were many other cards which I stuck on the two doors close by. Bill will cut labels for presents from some of them to be used next year.
The 2 pop up cards are ones that Bill gave me in the early 1990s when I was very poorly. These now become part of the Christmas display every year.
The decorations we have had the longest are the white man and lady. Bill bought them for our first Christmas in 1965. These were the only decorations we had on our little Christmas tree that year, apart from cotton wool balls.
Above I have a picture of some toys - not specially for Christmas, they belong with us throughout the year.
There is a little white dog and cat - they remind me of Jamie and Ashley. Jamie carried the cat, which I had given him, on one of his major travels. The cat has a little bell. Ashley found some sweet little dogs in a local hardware store. He bought one - and then I went and bought another. I think they cost about 80p.
The teddy in a dress came from a shop in York on our first trip there in 1987 when Jamie first began at university.
The dog in the front was bought to sell at least 25 years ago. Every time I went to pick him up to take him to a fair, his soulful eyes looked up at me and pleaded to stay at home!