Monday, August 14, 2006

 

Last Monday. Ekatarina on the farm

Last Monday Bill and I took Ekatarina to Holmbush Farm.
The farm lies off the Crawley to Horsham road towards Faygate.
We have had an association with Holmbush for many years. Our friends, Mogs and Dave, created a major project when they bought Holmbush House when it was in a run down state. They had the end of the house with the tower and other people took over other parts of the building.
Ekatarina and I drove close to the house on a tractor ride.
I apologise that there are extra pictures of the house at the end of this entry. How did they get there? I am sure I didn't insert 3 copies of this picture and I have not yet fathomed out how to delete unwanted pictures. I can edit text, but pictures are proving harder.
Well - actually that bit is no longer true!
Jamie edited my blog for me from 6000 miles away. Of course I had to tell him my username and password.
You will see that he has added links to this blog - his blogs and Roger's website.
The farm has been in existence for a good long time of course but its nature and means of making a profit have changed radically.
Now the farm provides a good day out for for children under 10. There are animals to see and a large expanse of playground area.
There are lots of opportunities for fun, learning and new experiences. There are chances for children to learn with their family or with other children.
Ekatarina especially liked a play castle inside the main barn. She would giggle at its name - Hogspudding Castle.
It would be good for a family to spend all day there with a picnic, but we only had half a day and there were some heavy showers of rain. Ekatarina did say later in the day that next year we should go back and spend a lot longer there.



This is a view of Holmbush House where we have spent many happy hours with Mogs and Dave and their sons, Bruce and Mike.
You can see that it was rather a grey day.
In fact it was pouring with rain when Ekatarina and I took the tractor ride, which took us from the farm to the big house.







Thankfully there was a waterproof cover over the trailer.
Ekatarina and I sat at the back.







Ekatarina certainly enjoyed the bumpy ride.










Later Ekatarina joined a group of children who were encouraged to handle the small animals.
She didn't want to hold the rabbit, but enjoyed feeling the soft fur.













It was a new experience to stroke the little ducklings.













When it stopped raining we spent some time playing outside.
Ekatarina liked the sand pit.
And she had a climb amongst the walkways and bridges linking the little wooden houses.







Some of the climbing was more than Ekatarina could manage, although I encouraged her by doing things with her.
It is many years since I have been on a slide!










Then Ekatarina had a good play on one of the old tractors.













If you live locally I can recommend taking young children to Holmbush Farm.
And I hope you have enjoyed sharing in our visit.