Saturday, July 08, 2006

 

The Language of Sussex

Today we have travelled across much of West Sussex again; and amongst the treasures we brought home with us was a book on Sussex dialect, which I have enjoyed studying.
We, in Sussex, have a language of our own. And even when everyday words are spoken by a Sussex person the accent can turn them into something else.
Whe Roger wrote that an ancestor appeared on a census as having been born in Arsted Canes I could almost hear the voice of the Sussex man explaining that he came from Horsted Keynes.
Lovely!
It is so easy to realise that the Sussex word Cardingly actually means Accordingly. But if you are "Furrin" - or not from these parts you might not have guessed.
But there is a dictionary full of words to describe daily life.
I thought I would show you the "miriander" that I chose to marry......


This "happy halfwit" was seen on a Sussex lane in 1961!
The very next year I met him and he seemed to be the man for me.

I must have been quite "pawsy"! (stupid)








I'd like to tell you in Sussex dialect that the miriander proved to be a hardworking and loyal husband.
But I can't do it.
We in Sussex must have negativity born into us - I haven't found one complimentary word in the book!

Today, like we "generally always" do at the weekend, we went off hunting for things to make our fortune. I wonder if this book will bring us a few pennies.