Friday, June 23, 2006

 

ARUNDEL and BURPHAM AGAIN

I thought I would share with you the images on two postcards that I found showing Arundel and Burpham, which I wrote about the other day.



This postcard is of a type that I always enjoy - a Tuck's Oilette.
This card dates from about 1910.
The artist was viewing the castle at Arundel from just about the same spot where we stopped to take photographs last Saturday.


This postcard is for sale on EBay right now. It is not the sort of postcard that sells for a high price. The most sought after cards are always real photographs of lesser known views. A post card showing a side street in a town is always more expensive than the High Street because less of them would have been sold in the first place. The cards showing the places that tourists would have visited in large numbers are not really popular with collectors because they are so common place.
But I find the Tuck's Oilette cards quite charming. I may well bid for this card.



This card shows the church tower at Burpham, tucked behind a thatched cottage.
It dates from the early 20th century.
Church postcards don't command very high prices either - but are an ideal part of a collection connected with a genealogy study.