Thursday, June 01, 2006

 

Rocking Horse Ardingly


Hello again.
I will tell you a little about the antiques shop where Grandad and I display our wares.
The shop is divided into to small areas and about 15 of us rent these spaces to sell the things which interest us. One couple organise things and deal with all the financial arrangements and we pay our rent to them. Part of the rent is an agreement to look after the shop for half a day a week for each area. I have 2 spaces and Grandad also has his own selling area. The shop is in a village quite close to home - it takes about 20 minutes for us to drive there.

The shop is quite narrow, but it is very deep. People who have not been in before often comment that they didn't realise it was so big.



This shows the view down the left hand side as you come through the door.






Grandad and I both have areas in the middle. These middle areas tend to be a little more masculine in flavour - though I also sell a lot of old toys and games too. I have books, maps, postcards and a mixed bag of the sort of things people might collect. The other person who sells in the middle has a lot of sporting ephemera, particularly old football programmes.
Grandad has always had an interest in old model cars and he has had stalls at toy collectors fairs for many years. I used to sell at these fairs too. Since he moved into the shop he has widened his interests.


The old cameras, though, have always been important. He has been collecting them and selling them for a long time. It is all part of his love of photography. He used to win prizes with his pictures at the local camera club.



Beyond you can see an area belong to Jo.


I also have an area near the far end of the shop. There have been opportunities to put my 2 areas together, but I am happy with the way things are and I don't relish creating new layouts and shelving. In this area I try to concentrate on china and glass from the 1950s and 1960s - and other related items, like fabrics, bags etc. I also have a lot of kitchen ware mostly from this time, but also back to the 1930s. The designs of the 1950s fascinate me. They are bold and colourful and were considered very innovative at the time. It was an exciting time - the war was over and designers were eager to create something new for the new Elizabethan land.














You can see that the area is quite small - but I can pack a lot into it. I enjoy creating new displays every couple of months.

People usually walk round the shop in a clockwise direction. By the time they have got to my 1950s area they are about half way round.

I will write about the rest of the shop in part 2.

Labels: