Thursday, June 01, 2006

 

Antiques shop - Part 2.

Part 2 of your guided tour round the antiques centre.

I left you in the village antiques centre standing by my area.
The areas are all very close together and although, we all know exactly where each space begins and ends, it isn't always obvious to the customers. Some of them think that the person who greets them when they come through the door owns everything. It can be hard when somebody comes and asks if we have some particular small item - it is bad enough sometimes to remember what I have, let alone know what everybody else has got.
We all dabble in many things that interest us, though most of us will happily pick up other sorts of things if we think they might sell. I often say that I don't have pretty things, for the 1950s were quite gaudy, with bright colours and geometric designs. But I do have a shelf with some pretty china, because it pleases me and it was cheap to buy.
Other people concentrate on different things. We have a book dealer and a couple who love beautiful old china and also oriental china. There is an area which concentrates on linen, lace, costume, christening robes and things like that. It is a delight to go in on my duty day to have a look round and see what other people have been finding during the week.
I think that most of us would say that we sell things in the shop because we love it. Buying and selling fills our lives and is very satisfying. I think also that most of us would have to admit that there is not really much money to be made - but it seems to be unimportant. I always feel pleased if I have broken even at the end of the year - and in truth there is normally a little to put away towards a holiday.

So, here we are at the end of the shop, looking back towards the door; and yes, that is my area in the foreground.
The tall little cabinet you can see in the middle is where Grandad has his model cars and other smaller, slightly more valuable things.



Customers always seem to enjoy a chat and often I find myself going round with somebody, perhaps helping to hunt for an unusual present. Others come in with friends or their spouse and chat together as they go round. So often I hear people chuckling about seeing things on the shelves that they remember from their childhood.



Perhaps they can recall the black hat, the black fan and the black feathers - just like a Grandma from days gone by might wear.













Or perhaps they can remember playing with dolls or a golly like I am selling.










By the time the customers have got round the shop I am, of course hoping they will have things in their hands that they have picked up on the way round that they want to buy. I am pleased for the shop if customers have found things they want - but most of all I am delighted of course if they have chosen something from Grandad or me.
The person on duty must write down every sale carefully with the codes on the labels that each separate seller uses.



Here I am checking the books.









When people leave the shop it can sometimes feel like you are saying farewell to a friend, having learned quite a lot about them. Often they have said where they might be going next - maybe the pub for some lunch or to walk round Wakehurst Place which is not far away. Perhaps they are continuing their hunt for interesting things and will drive on to Lewes or Brighton.



The first thing they will see when they leave of course is the village main street.
Below is the village post office.
















There are many other interesting places close to the village and I am sure I shall record them during the summer. There is a reservoir in the valley. Wakehurst Place is a lovely place to walk and enjoy plants.

If you are ever in Ardingly though, please make your first call at Rocking Horse Antiques Cente - and no, we don't actually sell rocking horses!