Monday, June 26, 2006

 

LEWES POST CARDS

Just like last week I have been hunting out some old picture postcards to add to our pictures of a place we visited. My account of our Lewes walk follows this entry.


This is a picture of Southover High Street and Anne of Cleves house on a postcard that was sent in 1905. No cars! No tarmacced road!
You can see the church with the fish weather vane in the distance.










This card is a Tuck's Oilette ( you may remember that I like this series of cards).
The castle remains stand overlooking the town.
We could see Lewes from "camp" - the field on The South Downs where I spent my childhood holidays. I loved being able to see the castle from 5 miles away.



This is Potter's Street which is a small side road off of Southover High Street.
The old timbered Tudor building looks much the same 100 years on. The picture below is mine.
I didn't take one that showed the street itself, for there were just too many parked cars to spoil the view.