Saturday, February 24, 2007

 

24th February - swimming and things

People I have been touch with often will know of my struggle to find a suitable swimming costume; well, today, happily, I have been swimming - but not in the costume that was bought in England.
I will, however, go back to the beginning of the day.
It had taken some time to get to sleep - and I took one of my excellent antihistmines in order to promote good sleep. In the end I actually managed to sleep round until half past nine, so woke reasonably refreshed.
Jamie had already long gone to work - but I saw him soon after because Mam rang him with the plea to please come back with the gate key, for she couldn't get the car out.
She took John to the noodle shop for some breakfast and Jessica stayed with me.
Jessica has become much more disciplined after nearly 2 years at school and will spend time concentrating on drawing or numbers.
Later we had a lot of visitors, but not for long. Mam's father and the rest of his sports team had driven down from Chumphon about 300 Kms away for a match. There were about 10 of them - 6 in the two rows of seats in her father's new pick up truck and 4 in the open at the back, where it can't have been very comfortable. They had some water and then left to mooch around. The plan had been that we might go and see the game, which would have been interesting; but plans often have to be changed.
The game that this team plays is a sort of cross between volley ball and 'keepy uppy' - I think it is all played using the feet. The ball is about 6 inches in diameter and made of woven sicks. I think maybe I will buy one.
Then Mam and I and the children went out.
Our first job was to buy a swimming costume - for Mam. She has a nice curvy figure - sure she is no bean stick, but I think she shouldn't worry about the size of her bum, her legs etc. She is far slimmer than me but wanted a swimming costume that covered every perceived fault. We went to Central - the new huge shopping mall. The clothes section in the up market department store had a lot that was interesting. I mused that it was a shame that Thai women are small - nothing for me. But it was worth asking and out came a couple of items that looked just great and I was invited to try them. So I left Mam browsing and very quickly my relaxed holiday attitude allowed me to choose a swimming costume that I didn't need but is infinitely more suitable than the one I bought in Crawley. It is black and has a skirt - maybe difficult to explain, but it suits me. Perhaps I will find a photograph that I am prepared for the world to see which will be put on the blog one day.
Meanwhile Mam found a nice top and something like cycling shorts - and then didn't buy. She began to say it might be too small. It was quite expensive and perhaps she was worried about that too.
So we then went off to eat. Mam chose the Japanese restaurant in the mall. I am not a sushi fan - not actually tried it though! Anyway I had the most delicious salmon fillet, asparagus and other vegetables and sauces. It was a lovely meal. Jamie said later that the Japanese restaurant is expensive - and meals do cost more than some of the cheap Thai places; but for a special treat then I cannot grumble about 210 baht which is about 3 pounds.
There was a litle more wandering in the mall and then Mam realised the time and said we were late to meet friends at the pool. We had arranged to meet them at 2 o'clock and it was nearly 4 when we arrived. But at least I had a chance to say Hello to people I have met before, including Diego who has been so good to Jamie - first finding him the job at Dive the World and then being so fair minded when letting him go again.
The swimming pool is in a village - housing estate really; it is a really lovely estate and the pool is the nicest I have ever been in. It is set by a lovely lake under coconut palms. There will be photos of course.
I swam a little with Jessica who manages very well with arm bands. John is still not at ease with the water but we sat on the step and dangled feet in and splashed. There were still friends there who talked with Mam - young mothers and children together, including a little beauty 2 months old.
I thought this was a lovely ammenity - the pool, fitness room, games room and we watched 6 year olds in their pink ballet clothes having a lesson.
Mam did wonder with me about moving to the village; but this may be difficult to achieve for houses there are expensive.
When we got home Jamie had finished work.
We have relaxed for the evening - and at the moment Jamie is switching between rugby, Ialy v Scotland and football, Liverpool v Sheffield Utd.
The children were up late again, but John did have a long sleep in the middle of the day whilst we were shopping.
I have talked with Bill again, hard at work on decorating the kitchen. He has realised the walls will need 2 coats of paint.
Well, bed time soon. Tomorrow is Jamie's day off and we hope to go to a beach down on the south of the island with one small bar/ restaurant. Jamie would like to take me to a temple as well. And we will open presents from England.
Watch this space - will the day pan out as planned I wonder.