Monday, May 21, 2007

 

14th May. Tunbridge Wells Part 4. Details.

There is always so much to see and appreciate.
Here are some details seen in Tunbridge Wells a week ago.

I love old bird cages. Perhaps these on the paving outside an antiques and curios shop were not actually old - but they were still attractive.


This was the plaque on the bridge over the railway.
We were pleased to see that the bridge was celebrating its 100th birthday on the week we were walking over it.
Another detail on the bridge over the railway, probably ignored by most who cross the bridge. Sometimes we have to lift our eyes to notice things.
It wouldn't have been surprising to have avoided looking up - such a grey sky above us.



The kitchen/hardware shop in The Pantiles was a delight. They sold so many gadgets and tools for the kitchen.
Above there is the vast range of pepper mills.
And below we see collanders of many kinds making a lovely pattern.
As a footnote I must tell you that I own 2 collanders. One is fairly new and came from Ikea. It is white and rather like the ones on the right in the picture.
My other collander is very precious to me - I bought it in Woolworths in Richmond before were married. I saw that my college friends, preparing to be married, were collecting for their bottom drawer and I thought I should do the same.
All I could afford was an aluminium collander - still serving me well after all these years (43 years almost).