Wednesday, December 05, 2007

 

5th December. Mostly good things.

Hello.
I guess today has been mostly good with pleasant times.
I will just get a grumble out of the way first. I am back on the laxatives! Its not that I don't go, but it has become increasingly difficult and painful. The body directs me to visit the loo and my brain screams a reply "No, No - don't do it!"
Balance is hard to find.
Anyway this morning Jenny came over with Mike. Mike is now a long term permanent friend and partner and I am delighted for her.
Mike and I already have things in common - he spent much of his working life as a geography lecturer at Maria Grey College - where I trained to be a teacher. We could recall many of the names of people who were there in the 1960s. Mike actually began his appointment 3 years after I left. In the early 1960s it was a typical girls college, mainly for those with affluent parents. It was also a safe haven for gradually aging women lecturers who had dedicated their lives to the education of young teachers. There were a number of "special friendships" amongst these lecturers.
One geography lecturer was mentioned - Greta James, - who had terrorised me during my first teaching practice.
And then Mike could also tell of a friendship of his own with Tony Elder who became head of Thomas Bennett, where Jamie and Ashley went to school. I knew that Tony was quite closely involved with the world of athletics as a coach and an administrator.
Interestingly Stella ( a fellow timekeeper) also called this morning and she knew a little of Tony Elder too.
I have been eager to doze during the day and have completely nodded off a few times. My weakness leads to this - along with lack of sleep at night. I was awake well before 4 o'clock during last night.
I am very tired now of course. I shall eat a little melon that Bill has prepared and then go to bed.
Goodnight.