Thursday, November 09, 2006

 

A walk on Bangor Pier

Life has been so full that I am way behind with posting things onto my blog.
I have decided to work backwards now and if I fail to share all our trips with you then I am sure it won't matter too much, but I will try to do it because I like to have this record of things.

So, now I take you back to last Sunday, 5th November.
We were in Bangor with Ashley, Liz and Ekatarina - or Katya as she has now asked me to call her.
When A&L gave her the name Ekatarina it was with the specific idea that other names, pet names and nick names could evolve from it and maybe she would choose her own.
Ashley and Liz have their own pet names for her and recently she and I discussed Katya - and then I found that she was talking about Katya as her new name and Ekatarina as her old name.

Last Sunday afternoon we went for a walk on Bangor Pier.
The pier reaches out into the Menai Strait which separates the mainland of Wales from Anglesey. It is quite a narrow strip of water.
There is no seaside beach at Bangor; indeed the Menai Strait hardly constitutes the ocean and no waves lap upon to the shore. Bangor is not a seaside town and yet there is a pier which has hardly changed since its construction.
It was low tide last Sunday afternoon.


This picture was taken on the pier looking back towards Bangor. The little kiosks are for arts and crafts and other knick knacks.
Katya has made friends with an old couple who sell in one of them and they like to give her things, so she loves walks on the pier.





The main part of Bangor town is not visible from the pier. It is off to the left and stretches up the hill. It is said that Bangor High Street is the longest in Great Britain. The cathedral is just off The High Street.
Ashley and Liz live at the bottom of the town, only 5 minutes walk from the pier.


Last Sunday, Katya took Molly out in the push chair.
The first time I walked on that pier in 2001 I was pushing Katya in her push chair. It was the day that they moved to Bangor.
Behind us is the Menai Strait looking West. Just round the first headland are the two famous bridges - the suspension bridge and a little further on the bridge that was once just a railway bridge, but now carries a road as well.
I'll find some pictures next time.





This is the view to the East.
In the distance you can see the hazy mountains on the edge of Snowdonia.












It was quite late in the afternoon when we were back on land. You can see that Anglesey is very close.









Before we went home, there was time for playing in the small children's playground by the entrance to the pier.













Katya asked Grandad to hold her hat!















The view from the pier in the late afternoon light.